We are very excited to announce today the launch of a new version of the Advanced High-Strength Steels (AHSS) Application Guidelines, the leading source for technical best practices on AHSS metallurgy, forming and joining. The AHSS Application Guidelines Version 7.0 is now online at ahssinsights.org in this searchable database, allowing users to pinpoint information critical to successful use of these amazingly capable steels. WorldAutoSteel member companies make these Guidelines freely available for use to the world’s automotive community.
Editors and Authors Dr. Daniel Schaeffler, President Engineering Quality Solutions, Inc., for Metallurgy and Forming, and Menachem Kimchi, M.Sc., Assistant Professor – Practice, Materials Science and Engineering, Ohio State University, have drawn from the insights of WorldAutoSteel member companies, automotive OEMs and suppliers, and leading steel researchers and application experts. Together with their own research and field experience, the technical editorial team, which includes WorldAutoSteel Technical Director, George Coates, have refreshed existing data and added a wealth of new information in this updated version.
The new database includes a host of new resources for automotive engineers, design and manufacturing personnel and students of automotive manufacturing, including:
- Hundreds of pages of searchable articles that include nearly 1,000 citations of original technical research papers, providing a rich library for study.
- Search tools and related posts fueled by thousands of industry-specific keywords that enable users to drill down to the information they need.
- Information on the metallurgy and mechanics of AHSS grades.
- An explanation of 3rd Gen AHSS and what makes these grades unique.
- A primer on Press Hardened Steels, one of the most popular AHSS grades in today’s automotive structures.
- Summaries of new research in resistance spot welding for joining AHSS of multiple grades and thicknesses.
- New information on modelling resistance spot welding.
- An expanded solid state welding section.
- New information on RSW joining of dissimilar steels as well as dissimilar materials.
- Articles written by subject-matter experts and product manufacturers.
- Integration of the popular AHSS Insights technical blog.
The new online format enables consistent annual updates as new mastery of AHSS’s unique microstructures is gained, new technology and grades are developed, and data is gathered. Be sure to subscribe to receive regular updates and blogs that represent a world of experience as the database evolves.
You’re right where you need to be to start exploring the database. Click Tutorials from the top menu to get a tour on how the site works so you can make the best of your experience. Come back often–we’re available 24/7 anywhere in the world, no download needed!